I want to start by saying that I love words and I even majored in them in college (that’s how I describe my B.A. in English). I’ve always liked learning new words, which resulted in an extensive and unnecessary vocabulary. I also enjoy words that sound interesting and are just flat-out fun to say; words like ‘Serendipity’. But it’s a bit deeper than that:
Merriam-Webster describes Serendipity as ‘the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for; an instance of this’.
Sounds fancy, but let’s just think of it as a long-drawn-out way of describing a series of pleasant or happy events that happen somehow ‘by chance’. Just completely unexpected good things. I really like that concept. I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t always been the best at being positive. I’m not really a ‘frolic in the meadows, smiles-all-around, ray of sunshine’ type of person. BUT even so, I want to always keep a strong PMA (if you’re cool, you’ll know that means Positive Mental Attitude). A really wise mentor of mine always says to speak what you want. And I want to be more positive, I want to see the good in any situation, and I want to see the good in people. More importantly, rather than thinking about impending doom, worrying about tomorrow, and completely overlooking the many strokes of Serendipity that occur in my life, I would rather practice an attitude of gratitude for all the great things God is doing (and will soon do) in my life. So while the word does mean things are happening “by chance”, I like to believe everything is happening on purpose with a purpose.
As for the ‘and such’, that’s just a weird speech pattern of mine when I can’t be bothered to list more things. It’s also a perfect way to describe the hodgepodge nature of this blog because, Dear God, it is going to be so hodgepodge for the time being.
So Who Are You?
Oh boy! An excuse to make a bullet list!
- Raven. The other side of 20-something.Graduated George Mason University in 2013.
- I work in a corporate office in the DMV area.
- I’m a Christian, so you’re gonna see a lot of references to the Bible, Joyce Meyer and probably John C. Maxwell. Don’t worry, it’s gonna be great.
- I contribute to The Ghetto Activist, a blog dedicated to pro-blackness and educating the masses to counter 400+ years of misinformation.
- I also self-publish and contribute on Medium publications. Click here for more varied topics!
- My interests include but are not limited to: my Faith, linguistics, food (eating it more so than cooking it), film, creative writing, reading, self-improvement, personal development, skin care, and listening to music in different languages.
- Life Goals
- Financial Independence (aka living life on my own terms)
- Provide a comfortable life for my parents (they’re the real MVPs, believe me).
- Become a person of influence and create a positive impact on others (no matter how ‘small’ it may be).
- Irrelevant Fun Fact: I like balloons…a lot. I’m not sure what it is but there’s something that really warms my heart about seeing big, bright balloons! So if you’re ever wondering what kind of gift you should give me, you can never really go wrong with a balloon. It’s just that easy.
So What’s the Goal Here?
I predominantly created this blog as an outlet. Even though it has always been my dream to become a “real writer”, I found myself being sucked into this world full of something called ‘adult responsibilities’. Slowly, writing became more and more distant and my overall attitude and outlook on life showed just how unhappy I was. I wanted to challenge myself and discipline myself back into writing. Starting a blog is one of those things that I put on the back burner but something I’ve been learning is that you make time for what you care about. Everyone has 24 hours in a day, it’s just a matter of what we’re choosing to do with them. #NoMoreExcuses.
But more important, I’ve come to realize that, in this world of negative, I want to be a shiny pink balloon in the sky. In other words, Serendipity & Such is a blog dedicated to personal growth and positive development. Together, let’s embrace the unexpected, find value in the struggle, grow from the experience, and learn along the way.
Welcome to Serendipity & Such!